Re: r31063 - trunk/packages/base-installer/debian

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 01:14:54PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 01 October 2005 02:17, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Log:
> > * Revert use of log-output when running debootstrap as it seems to
> >   cause a hang.
>
> Could this be because debootstrap also makes heavy use of output
> redirection using &1 to &4 and this conflicts with the output redirection
> in log-output?

Extremely likely.

> In that case log-output could be a kind of timebomb waiting to cause all
> kinds of hard to trace bugs.
> Would there be less risk of this if log-output were re-implemented in C?

Right, looks like the shell implementation, while small, is
insufficiently correct. I'll look at making it a simple wrapper around
di_exec_shell_log or whatever from libd-i instead, which should be able
to avoid most of the complicated redirection shenanigans.

Cheers,