Re: GTK DBF IRC meeting

On Sunday 25 September 2005 12:02, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> ok: since gtk.c has to compile against DFB and not X, and since this
> cannot be done automatically, maybe cdebconf-gtk-udeb should be
> excluded from builds and a precompiled, let's say,
> d-i_gtk_frontend.tar.gz should be available in
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/

Yes, or maybe better, an unofficial udeb from a special location that also
has the correct dependencies.
I would really like to get as much as possible software packaged.

> Every time i update gtk.c in SVN i would then also manually compile it,
> pack it in a d-i_gtk_frontend.tar.gz archive and place the archive
> without having to upload all the remaining components of the gtk d-i .

Yes, that is the idea.

> In the same dir should then be available also a, let's say,
> d-i_gtk_root.tar.gz that contains everything that has to be added to
> the initrd except the frontend itself (gtk.so) since it's already
> provided by d-i_gtk_frontend.tar.gz.
> Since this tarball will contain everything needed by the gtk fe to work
> (libraries, fonts, configuration files..)except mouse kernel modules,
> no udebs should be placed in the initrd except mouse kernel modules.

Well, I would like to split it out further:
- separate tarballs for other libraries
- separate tarballs for fonts

I would like to put configuration files into the rootskel-gtk udeb as much
as possible.

> Note that the hypotetic d-i_gtk_root.tar.gz will also contain a
> different versions of libc-2.3.5.so, libpthread-0.10.so, ld-2.3.5.so
> from the ones included inside the original intrd image.
> Those libs are taken from the original netinst cd after the udebs have
> been unpacked: original libs on initrd are missing some
> symbols/function/whaterver i cannot remember right now.

No problem as these are copied over. I made sure the tarballs are unpacked
after the library reduction takes place.

> Libraries in d-i_gtk_root.tar.gz (except gtk.so wich is placed inside
> /usr/local/lib/frontend and libc-2.3.5.so, libpthread-0.10.so,
> ld-2.3.5.so that are goung to be placed in /lib) are to be placed in
> /usr/locale/lib rather than /usr/lib: this prevents hacked files from
> mixing with regular one.

Ack.

> Because of this non standard prefix we'll have to add
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib as a boot parameter to ISOLINUX.

This is typically something that we can set in the rootskel-gtk udeb.

> hope this helps.

Thanks a lot.