Re: Custom SPARC netboot image

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 05:01:59PM -0400, Andy Goth wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 11:44:42AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 01:40:28AM -0400, Andy Goth wrote:
> > > How do I create a custom SPARC netboot d-i image?
> > >
> > > Specifically, I need to update the kernel used in the Sarge d-i.
> > > 2.6.8-2 doesn't work; it fails immediately, unable to detect the
> > > timer chip.  2.6.11-1 is alright.
> >
> > What about updating the sid d-i images to use 2.6.12 ? Or does
> > 2.6.12-1 not work for you ?
>
> 2.6.12-1 will probably work too (I don't expect a regression), but my
> real concern is wanting to install Sarge rather than Etch.

Notice that there are 2.6.12 backports for sarge, including already build
powerpc and x86 packages, while 2.6.11 will be gone forever, the sooner the
better. You can probably easier install sarge with the etch/sid installer, you
probably just need to build those backported packages, and somehow add them to
your local archive or something, and there are chance that this may work. No
promise though, it may need some manual tweaking or something.

Now, if you haev a kernel with all modules builtin, it is possible that you
can run the installer as is, and it will be happy since all modules will be
builtin, and once the install is finished, you can either install your own
kernel or the backported 2.6.12.

The third possibility is to install sid/etch in your future swap partition,
and then debootstrap sarge on the normal system and then go from there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther