Re: Preseeing w/o asking a question

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:32:13PM +0100, Paul Millar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get preseeding to work fully automatically (again: I was looking
> at this in the past, but my priorities shifted).
>
> When in the second-stage (after the boot), you're prompted for the root
> password.  Is there *any* way of preseeding this?

Yes.
The manual has a paragraph title "Automatic Installation Using the
Debian Installer" ( the URL is
 http://www.nl.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s07.html.en )

That will bring you to an preseed example
 ( http://www.nl.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs01.html.en )
a text only version is:
  http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/example-preseed.txt

> One solution might be to lock/disable the root password and allow people in
> through sudoers file.  Is that currently possible?

in that example

| # To preseed the root password, you have to put it in the clear in this
| # file. That is not a very good idea, use caution!
| passwd passwd/root-password            password r00tme
| passwd passwd/root-password-again      password r00tme

> Also, I've a script that's run as base-config/late_command.  This works, but
> causes the installer to halt at the second-final stage stage of the install.
> Simply pressing enter causes the installer the rerun the script and pause at
> the same point.

Reduce your 'late_command' to 'echo bin here > /root/my_marker'
and see that debian-installer doesn't need an extra "enter".

What I have seen from previous preseed problems is line truncation.
Put your 'late_command' on one singel line

> I have to manually select the last stage (something like: exit installer) for
> the installation to complete.  Is there any way to prevent the installation
> stalling at this point?

d-i can work without stalling.

Feel free to contact us again when your problem persist.

(telling what the probleem caused and solved, would be nice )

> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

Cheers
Geert Stappers