New Installer translation started - Kurdish

Hi everybody,

I am glad to inform you that the Kurdish translation team has started to work on the translation of the Debian installer, which we see as a central step for making Kurdish localizations more widely available in the free software world. We also hope to solve some localization problems for Kurdish in this process.

Let me say a few sentences about our work. To translate software into Kurdish is a great challenge. Although close to 40 Million people speak Kurdish, the language could not develop well, because it has been forbidden in Turkey, where most Kurds live. Still it is not been taught at any state school - let alone university. So we have to create a wholly "new" computer terminology, which makes this task very difficult.

But there is hope. I am happy that the international free software community - and especially some Turkish guys in this community - support all kinds of localization efforts. I am hoping for a good cooperation with all of you.

For the Kurdish team,
Erdal