Re: installation/boot trouble in SUPERMICRO P8SAA SATA mode

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:10:55AM -0500, Renato Alarcon wrote:
> I know, unfortunatelly I'm not by that machine at this point. I know it
> uses an Intel ICH6R

Well I have installed on an ICH5R set to native SATA mode, and with
linux26, it just works.  I would hope the ICH6R is the same way,
although if it's pci id is different and not yet in 2.6.8 it could cause
problems.

> I did try a fresh install with SATA, both with raid 1 and non raid.

The bios fake raid won't work with linux, so don't bother enabling it.

> I must've done like 10 fresh installs in all different ways, but I only
> found worth mentioning the 3 on the report.

Well you might want to try one of the unofficial CDs that people have
made that have a sarge net isntall but with a newer 2.6 kernel.  2.6.11
or 2.6.12 should certainly support your chipset.

> during the initial install it detected a device, successfuly loaded it,
> and let me partition the drives. Once that was done, the basic packages
> got installed on the drive.
>
> My problem was the subsequent restart, where there was no sign of a MBR.
> the thing would attempt to boot from the NIC and CDROM. Not even with
> lilo it worked, it didn't even shot LI or anything else, just like there
> was no MBR

Well I haven't installed lilo in years.  Grub works much better in my
opinion.  If it doesn't want to boot, it certainly sounds like it may be
confused about the order of the drives somehow, which with emulation is
quite likely.

I can't find the link to the cd someone made with 2.6.11 on it, but here
is one with 2.4.31 which is probably new enough to work too:
http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/LNX/Debian+on+Dell+Servers?focusedCommentId=4925

Len Sorensen