Re: Re: GTK frontend, compatibility mode planned

>> -the main-menu in the left part of the screen steals space (pixels) to
>> the other widgets and, with a 640x480 screen resolution, this could be a
>> problem.
>it is a problem even with 800x600 resolution. Some strings do not fit >in
>progress bar for example. Maybe it is possible to make it like <select>
>element in HTML and button "Go"? And there is still a problem because
>menu will not be updated when needed.
i'm thinking about inserting \n in button label text to split the ones that are too long; this may lead to non optimal appearance. you've got to note that we can't use the "forward" button to pilot both main menu and widgets in questionbox

>> I'm thinking of more improvements too, this time related to the
>> graphical aspect of the frontend.
>> One of the requests i've heard about is to make the frontend less
>> "gray": we could add optional top banner and left banner around the
>> frontend.
>It is just waste of space (both on screen and in RAM) IMHO.

i'm talking about very small images at low colourdepth (256 cols, or even 16, shuld be enough): since we got to deal with a X/DFB system that require tenths of megs to fit on cd and run i suppose we can allocate some kbytes for some small images too ;)

>> the frontend could look for, let's say, cdebconfgtk_top.png and
>> cdebconfgtk_left.png (wide and short the first, tight and tall the
>> other) and, if it those files are found, display them; otherwise, if no
>> pngs are found, nothing is displayed and no space is stolen to the
>> interface.
>To display those pngs someone need to package pixbuf loaders for d-i, >or are they displayed some other way?

i suppose those pixbuf loaders need to be packaged; anyway i'm doing experiments with a new note/text/error handler that displays a small image (32x32 or similar), accordind to the question type, aside the text.
Pixbuf loaders would be useful in tis case too.

>> the result should be something like this screenshot
>>
>> https://debian.polito.it/downloads/gtk_frontend_logos.jpg
>>
>me thinks about lagre amount of fuzzy string with remove word "Debian"
it was just an experiment and i'm not good in 2d design: i hope someone will draw decent left and top banners

ciao

attilio