GTK frontend, compatibility mode planned

Hi *

I think it's time to add to the GTK frontend an option that allows it to operate in a classical fashion, without main-menu being always displayed. At the beginning this will be a compile-time choice (a variable value inside the source code) that tells the frontend to operate in standard or jump way.
I think this modification is useful since:
-The "standard" part of the frontend is relatively stable, while most of the bugs in the frontend and strange behaviours are related to the jump parts -(c)debconf is a general purpose configuration tool so, even if it's used only by debian-installer, it may happen it is used in a fashion where a main-menu to be displayed does not even exist and so having a main-menu does not make sense. -the main-menu in the left part of the screen steals space (pixels) to the other widgets and, with a 640x480 screen resolution, this could be a problem.

I'm thinking of more improvements too, this time related to the graphical aspect of the frontend. One of the requests i've heard about is to make the frontend less "gray": we could add optional top banner and left banner around the frontend. the frontend could look for, let's say, cdebconfgtk_top.png and cdebconfgtk_left.png (wide and short the first, tight and tall the other) and, if it those files are found, display them; otherwise, if no pngs are found, nothing is displayed and no space is stolen to the interface.
the result should be something like this screenshot

https://debian.polito.it/downloads/gtk_frontend_logos.jpg

where i experimentally used a top banner (i guess the left banner should be used only if mainmenu is not displayed, in order not to steal too space to the interface)
This could be also useful for debian branding, as an old posts requested.

what do you think?

ciao

attilio