Re: d-i netboot images with gtk-frontend

> As I said yesterday on IRC I made some d-i images with gtk frontend and
> freedesktop.org's Xfbdev [1] on them. Images itself and patches needed
> to build them are available at http://people.debian.org/~eugen/gtk .
> You can boot either mini.iso or netboot images from netboot.tar.gz but
> make sure that you have VESA 2.0 compatible videocard and you boot with
> 16- or 24-bit videomode (you can use 'vga=0x314' for 800x600@16 or
> 'vga=0x315' for 800x600@24, 1024x768 modes should also work). Images
> with 2.6 kernel can also run gtk-frontend but will not support mouse.

excellent job!
well, if you boot using kernel 2.4 in 800x600 seems to work fine
(boot using "install24 vga=788"), I noticed the crash when using vga=791.
As for the mouse with kernel 2.6, the problem is the lack of mouse modules
which will have to be brought in using some udeb.

> Even if d-i will use gtk-directfb, I hope that X11 frontend will help to
> fix some cdebconf-gtk bugs, before directfb images will be available.

What we needed badly was something to work on; having both the solutions
would be great for comparing the solutions and choose the optimal.

Ciao

Davide

PS: I tested mini.iso inside qemu

TISCALI ADSL 1.25 MEGA
Solo con Tiscali Adsl navighi senza limiti e telefoni senza canone Telecom
a partire da 19,95 Euro/mese.
Attivala entro il 31 agosto, il primo MESE è GRATIS! CLICCA QUI.
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/sa/1e25flat_tc/