Re: your mail

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:58:10PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> retitle 310931 overheating cpu due to !acpid
> tags 310931 -moreinfo
> tags 310931 d-i
> severity 310931 wishlist
> reassign 310931 tasksel
> thanks
>
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 05:57:17PM +0200, Maximilian Attems wrote:
> > > tags 310931 moreinfo
> > > stop
> > >
> > > any progress on the matter?
> > > can you reproduce it with the 2.6.12 linux image from unstable?
> >
> > First of all, the reported situation happened only before I installed
> > acpid package. After that, during regular operation in runlevel 2, when
> > userspace acpid is running, there are no more kacpid CPU hogs.
> >
> > I also got the impression that the CPU fan switches to higher RPM on
> > high CPU utilization only when acpid is running. It might be that in
> > runlevel 1 (i.e. when the user-space acpid is not running), the CPU was
> > constantly overheated, and that in turn caused the kacpid CPU hog.
>
> hmm so the bug report isn't exactly against a kernel-image.
> i'm not sure debian is already preventing the unexerienced user from
> overheating it's cpu.  for now i'll reassign to tasksel so the bug gets
> on the radar of the debian-installer team.
> maybe we already install acpid for desktop systems, but maybe that
> should be paired with some hardware detection of d-i (apm or acpi too old)
> cc the debian-installer list for feedback.
>
> > I installed the 2.6.12 package the day before yesterday, so I will try
> > to test this some more in runlevel 1 today, if you want.
>
> no thanks i believe you.

Either way, I don't think having acpid installed is enough, as long it
starts so late in bootup process. A long fsck run or a similar problem
before entering runlevel 2, and the problem appears again :-/

I don't know much about ACPI specification, but maybe it would be
possible to make the fans run at maximum speed when kernel boots, until
acpid starts (which would then turn them down according to whatever its
user-space policy says).

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216