[i18n] FAILED netboot 20050726 fr_FR.UTF-8 etch base

Interesting failure case here. The only thing I changed when compared
to the former successful install (netboot installing etch) was the
locale being UTF-8 instead of the default value.

Arch          : i386
Install source: 20050726 netboot built from d-i tree
Locale        : fr_FR.UTF-8
Target        : etch
Contents      : base system

Installs is smooth up to 2nd stage.

After the reboot, everything goes fine up to base-config.

The système shows "Configuration du système de base...", the screen
becomes blue....and after a moment begins flickering.

Running top on VT2 shows that "dpkg-reconfigure passwd" is cycling in
an infinite loop.

This is probably due to some slang breakage because even the first
welcome screen doesn't appear. I suspect that all debconf questions
prior to root passwd setting fail to display the user input screen
then continue to their default values.

However, passwd does not allow this as the root password HAS to be
setup. Hence the cycle.