Re: proposal for apt setup in first stage

Joey Hess wrote:
The point of moving apt setup into the first stage should be to make it
integrate better with d-i.

Call me stupid, but I always had problems choosing my favorite mirror (local apt-proxy in my case) during installation. Maybe I am branded with bad experiences from older days. Thus I always use the defaults during netinst, choose nothing in tasksel, and after this I edit sources.list manually.

Looking into the templates of choose-mirror I cannot say exactly, what the problem is/was. One was, that I did not understand how the selections or the manually entered mirror form the line in well known sources.list syntax. I remember boring trial and error at this point.

Second were bad or slow mirrors.

Now I tried apt-setup - the current Sarge version.

1) 'edit sources list by hand'

This presents 'vi', which means, that a user has to know, how to turn on edit mode and how to quit or save. As vi is not self-explaining, vi should never be the default editor or the default user interface.

2) 'http' and <enter> the defaults

At the end there was no chance to see the generated result, nor to step back or cancel.

My suggestions to support both - newbies and experts - better:

1) Some additional explaining words or examples, what content is expected at 'enter your mirror'.

2) Present the result - the generated lines of sources.list - to the user, before they are saved and applied.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer