GTK frontend: graphical aspect proposals

Hi

i was thinking how to "gray out" the debian-installer gtk frontend, so i made some experiments with the bootscreens actually available at

http://people.debian.org/~joshk/d-i-logos/

to come up with this png

https://debian.polito.it/downloads/gtk_frontend_logos.jpg

basically i added two images to the frontend: the first one is the topmost banner and actually it's 800x60 (since i'm assuming to use a 800x600 screen) but it could also be 640x48 if we choose to use a 640x480 screen in the debian-installer. The second image is the debian logo inside the actionbox: if only the main-menu is displayed that area remains empty and this is no good. The topmost banner, anyway, should never be so tall to steal too much precious space to the GUI and should fade from black in the top part to the backgroud color of the GUI in the bottom part. Note that i'm not an artist and i've just choosed two logos that were lready available: maybe new ad-hoc images would be better. I was also thinking how good it would be if we could pass at runtime to the gtk frontend some parameters that are acually hardcoded inside it at compile time; this is a list of parameters i was thinking to un-hardcode

MAIN_MENU_TAG -> the tag of the main-menu question, empty string to remove from the GUI the main-menu that now always shows up (yet to be implemented in gtk.c ) MAIN_MENU_MODE -> JUMPING_ENABLED / JUMPING_DISABLED : even if the main menu shows up we should be able to tell the frontend if we want to allow the user to jump (and thus e must activate the main-menu) or not (the main-menu is shown but deactivated when is displayed from cache) BACKGROUND_COLOR -> rrrgggbbb : if we insert images inside the frontend we must also be able to set its bg colour to match the logos background colour SCREEN_RESOLUTION -> 640x480 / 800x600 etc.. :actually this is hardcode inside the frontend TOP_LOGO -> xyz.png : this is to specificate the path to the topmost banner; the frontend would look for xyz_480.png or xyz_600.png depending from the SCREEN_RESOLUTION parameter ACTIONBOX_LOGO -> xyz.png : the logo to display inside the actionbox whet this is empty.

all the proposed modifications are not found in others frontends, but i think are needed to improve the gtk one. Anyway, where should we get those parameters from? from a config file ad-hoc for the gtk-frontend? from shell exported variables?

ciao

attilio