Re: Proposed new scheme for resolving the system hostname

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 15:26 +0200, GOMBAS Gabor wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 07:26:11PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > An alternative to fixing support for the assumption is to decide that
> > applications should not make the assumption.  We could add an article to
> > Debian policy forbidding applications to rely on the system hostname
> > being resolvable.
>
> In my opinion this should definitely be the goal.

sudo is one of the programs that attempts to resolve the system
hostname.

jdthood@thanatos:~$ sudo pwd > /dev/null
sudo: unable to lookup thanatos via gethostbyname()
jdthood@thanatos:~$ echo $?
0

Do you think that I should file a bug against sudo?

Do you think that hostname(1) should deprecate hostname's --fqdn option?

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@aglu.demon.nl>