Re: PowerPC kernels, partitioning on macppc

On (25/05/05 11:13), Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > Use the source, Luke. Or search the Apple techinfo database. I don't know
> > > of any other documentation.
> >
> > Apple's documentation of this stuff is surprisingly useful. If you really
> > care about reading or writing them, look on the Apple website.
>
> Right, you would be the one to know this :-) Since mac-fdisk is strictly in
> maintenance mode these days (waiting for parted to slim down enough to
> fit onto install images), I don't feel like poking around in the Apple
> docs. I still gladly take patches, though.
>
> > > The installer created the Driver43 and Driver_ATA partitions? I would have
> > > thought the driver code to be copyrighted by Apple, and not
> > > redistributable. Weird.
> >
> > I highly doubt the installer created the Driver partitions. My guess is
> > that whatever the original poster was using to delete them didn't really
> > do it completely. The code that Apple puts in them is very much copyrighted
>
> Nuking a partition table should really not leave any drivers behind,
> though.
>
> > If someone was going to go to the trouble of getting that support in, it
> > would be used first for bootable CDs on oldworld and nubus macs, I suspect.
>
> The awkward way of booting Nubus Macs is what keeps me from setting up an
> old box with Debian around here. Not really worth the effort, building
> stuff on that box is way too slow.

This is probably of no interest to anyone in the light of Michael's
comments but if anyone is interested, I have an 8100/80 nubus Mac, here in
London, looking for a home.

It has woody installed and boots using a Mach_Kernel a la MK Linux.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...