Re: PowerPC kernels, partitioning on macppc

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:26:24AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Is there any documentation on these partition maps?
>
> Use the source, Luke. Or search the Apple techinfo database. I don't know
> of any other documentation.

Apple's documentation of this stuff is surprisingly useful. If you really
care about reading or writing them, look on the Apple website.

> > > These two contain code to let MacOS boot from the disk. Only Apple disk
> > > utilities can generate these partitions.
> >
> > The Debian installer created the partitions even after I had trashed them a
> > few times, so the developers must have figured out how those partitions work
> > and how to create them.
>
> The installer created the Driver43 and Driver_ATA partitions? I would have
> thought the driver code to be copyrighted by Apple, and not
> redistributable. Weird.

I highly doubt the installer created the Driver partitions. My guess is
that whatever the original poster was using to delete them didn't really
do it completely. The code that Apple puts in them is very much copyrighted
and not redistributable. However, they do document the requirements enough
to allow third parties to write their own. It used to be that any time
you bought a Mac hard drive, it came with third-party drivers. I have a
couple copies of Silverlining laying around because of that.

If someone was going to go to the trouble of getting that support in, it
would be used first for bootable CDs on oldworld and nubus macs, I suspect.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com