Re: Localisation Options

Quoting James Davis (jamesd@jml.net):
> > This seems to be something which should be documented somewhere,
> > indeed.
>
> If this is something that needs doing, and I can be pointed at the
> relevant file(s) within the source code (I'm only just learning how to
> create a preseeded CD and not that familiar with the installer yet), I'd
> be more than willing to write it up.

Thanks for the offer.

This probably belongs to the "preseeding" section of the installation
manual, or as a comment in the example preseed file.

The relevant file for languagechooser is "languagelist" in
packages/languagechooser. Pick up the first field for each language.

For preseeding the country, just mentioning that the value shoul dbe
the country's 2-letter ISO code should be enough.

For kbd-chooser, this is a bit more complicated. The files to look at
are debian/console-keymap-*.templates files in the source of the
*console-data* package which is NOT in D-I repository (just apt-get
source console-data will bring it to youe.)

I thinks you should get in touch with Frans Pop for such documentation
issue.

Be aware that this will certainly change in etch d-i when
languagechooser/countrychooser will be replaced by localechooser.

Then, the right way to preseed language and country (and locale) will
be preseeding preseed/locale with a locale-style setting:

preseed/locale=fr (just sets the language to French, user will be
prompted for country)

preseed/locale=fr_FR (user will be only prompted for a locale variant
if in medium priority)

preseed/locale=fr_FR.UTF-8 (no prompting at all)

This is still likely to change as ideas are floating around to allow
users to choose more than one locale during install time for
multilingual environment setups.