Re: Gtk fe complete X testcase

Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
Eddy Petrisor wrote:
I suppose this is i386 binary code, or is it not?
Can't run it here (ppc arch) if is i386 code.

Yes, it's a i386 version; Giuseppe Sacco offered himself to develop a ppc one
You already have a tester.

PS: I have some notes on what are the current problems of the GTK frontend and why it has stalled. Do yo want them?
for sure, tell me!
They are not quite coherent and are, in fact, some irc logs;
I also have some notes in my head ;-) just waiting to be rediscovered.

--
Regards,
EddyP
===========================
I had a favourite quote, but I forgot it. And it was insightful.
Known Networks 	<none> 	ChatZilla 0.9.8 	Connected Networks 	<none>
URL 	irc://foo/bar 	Not Connected 	Lag 	<unknown>
URL 	irc://irc.debian.org/debian-boot 	Mode 	+n 	Users 	94, 0@, 0+
Topic 	Welcome to the Debian-Installer development channel -- http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer | For help mail debian-boot@lists.debian.org | Meeting Minutes: http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/07/msg00676.html | today's are fine
URL 	irc://foo/bar 	Connected via 	<none>
<none>
<none>
#debian-boot
[INFO]	Channel view for \u201c#debian-boot\u201d opened.
ChanServ	[#debian] Welcome to #Debian. This is a discussion channel; if you have a question about Debian GNU/Linux, ask and we will try our best to answer it. Newcomers should read the channel's guidelines by typing "/msg dpkg guidelines". Please do not paste in the channel; use #flood instead. Thank you.
-->|	YOU have joined #debian-boot
=-=	Topic for #debian-boot is \u201cWelcome to the Debian-Installer development channel -- http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer | For help mail debian-boot@lists.debian.org | Meeting Minutes: http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/07/msg00676.html | today's are fine\u201d
=-=	Topic for #debian-boot was set by anibal on Fri Jul 09 2004 03:20:33 GMT+0300 (EEST)
===	#debian-boot [freenode-info] please register your nickname...don't forget to auto-identify! http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup

eddyp	hello al
wonders with what should I start the work on developing a graphical installer
bubulle	eddyp: look at the dead project on alioth....but don't dream-->a graphical installer won't probably make it for sarge
eddyp	i know
bubulle	which does not mean you shouldn't work on it of course..:-)
eddyp	maybe for the 3.11 release ;)
bubulle	maybe start some discussion on -boot but we're mostly focused on chasing bugs currently
eddyp	I would also like to know what would be the start point on documenting regarding di as is now
bubulle	eddyp: you mean the d-i manual?
eddyp	nope, the underlying mechanisms is my target
bubulle	ah, well...No idea if something has been done yet
CIA-2	debian-installer: joeyh * r17732 installer/ (4 files in 2 dirs): - Use the 2.4.46 kernel for speakup.
debianist	would be thrilled to join people on a pure community made graphical installer
moreover, would like to see all those grimmed people with the "Why can't it have a decent graphical installer like RH has?" remain speechless.. ;)
eddyp	debianist is wolcome
s/wolcome/welcome
debianist	eddyp : just take a look at the dead project on alioth ?
eddyp	as I heard the gui should be based on cdebconf . is the dead project doing this?
debianist	Well, I'll check that for a sec.
actually, I can't seem to remeber it's path on alioth, has anyone got it?
joeyh	tries jigdo with a local mirror
eddyp	i have a link
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/gtk-frontend
ths	eddyp: IIRC it did, which means it asks for input of a single item thousands of times.
eddyp	ths: "it asks for input of a single item thousands of times. " meaning? (where to find answers?)
who can give'em to me?
ths	eddyp: Normally, GUI programs have dialogs with several inputs. cdebconf (currently) does only one at a time.
eddyp: This allows it to work well in text etc. mode.
eddyp	debianist: is that what you were asking, or were you asking for a svn uri?
ths: input = mice, keyboards / stream
ths	eddyp: Input _fields_, basically.
eddyp	ths: so the problem is that cdebconf can deal only with one active input filed, while gui can work with many. is that correct?
debianist	eddyp : svn would be great
eddyp	is looknig for svn uri too
debianist	eddyp : googeling?
ths	eddyp: Yes. A good GUI usually should work with many.
debianist	ths : I bet it enables it to stay closely related to the text dialogs course..
eddyp	ths: basically there's only one operation at a time when installing... so...
debianist	I agree
Is there a mailing list also?
[ERROR]	No match for \u201cthwhen\u201d
eddyp	ths: when clicking ok, all the input fileds can be feeded to cdebconf sequencely
debianist	ths : that what I had in mind.. This was we can have for instance a navigation bar on left side, switching a relavent window when choosing respective configuration category
s/was/way
eddyp	so, even if there are many on a dialog, to cdebconf they are fed one by one
debianist: and the unavalable/old options are greyed out
debianist	eddyp : yep. simple as that.
eddyp : we should also have some sort of presets (maybe similar to progeny's flavor, but am not sure this is the way to go about it) something similar to task,
eddyp	thinks a help/tip/status area should be present
-->|	p2-mate (~p2@NAT.office.mind.be) has joined #debian-boot
eddyp	debianist: didn't try progeny's flavor
debianist	eddyp : tasks, but on a more userish oreinted level like "desktop" "server" and "laptop" config presets
eddyp	debianist: I think that is present in di ATM
debianist	eddyp : about the tip line, I thought of even maybe extending it with some sort of "online" help, that is whenever the config section it something which might be assisted with more knowledge of the users, to have elaborate explantory material accessible by a click and even maybe some inbuilt broswer to help the user on a internet connected station to find more info regarding the subject, or more importantly *updated" info from the
resepctabke wiki page etc
like in for example when installing onto a SATA controller, let the user view current updated hardware support info from the wiki or something
ofcourse that might somewhat increase the size of the installer..maybe use wget for getting the page and reformat it for the installer window
eddyp : di ATM ?
eddyp	debianist: wget is already in, so it would be an alternative, but we must strip off the formatting
atm = at this/the moment
so the left side navigator should be a radio-buttoned area, or a tabbed one?
I think buttons are better
debianist	eddyp : regarding atm, ok, but I think that applies only for software selection, not for configuration presets..But I would be glad to be proven wrong on this
eddyp : you mean strip out all the HTML trash?
eddyp	-boot: anyone care to contradict debianist on the tasks selections?
yeap
and display only the useful info
text in a edit-box
debianist	eddyp : yep, something similar to the wiki's edit text box maybe
waldi	fjp: which problems?
debianist	eddyp : left bar : tabbed one
eddyp	waldi: are there any desktop, server, and so on tasks (iirc yes)
fjp	waldi: no ide udebs loaded on i386 netboot 2.6 installation
waldi	log?
fjp	waldi: I'll have to reproduce.
debianist	eddyp : what I have in mind for the conf presets is something more of maybe when on a laptop, set the X parameters accordingly etc etc, if on a server machine, offer a suitable partiotioning scheme..as a matter of fact, this might be impractical in light of the many possibilites.
eddyp	debianist: and the meny arches
although not all , maybe, will be supported
just a few
debianist	eddyp : I remeber when installing on a dell 8200 inspiron , fighting XF86Config-4 file until I managed to scale it's display area
eddyp : while in redhat there were no problem
eddyp : Keeping in mind how crappy red hat is compared to debian, it kind'a saddened me..
eddyp	debianist: so the preset options would refer to configs, not packages
debianist	eddyp : yes exactly.
notes he may be ahead of his skills with his ideas, but hopes that in collebrative work it's achiveable. ;)
eddyp	debianist: this is discover related and solved by the current installer
debianist	eddyp : hmm, ok, taking a note to try d-i on the inspiron
;)
eddyp	debianist: everybody is a beginner in some filed, then we evolve
debianist: I have sarge installed with beta4 di and had NO fuss with configs, I didn't even touched XF86Config-4
debianist	eddyp : actually I'm pretty excited to even discuss this matters with you, notwithstanding.
eddyp : on a 8200 inspiron?
eddyp	debianist: are in?
debianist: are you in?
debianist	eddyp : in what?
eddyp	for the devel of the FE
debianist	eddyp : yes I am!
eddyp	gui to be more precise
we should set up a meeting
debianist	eddyp : you mean, a virtual one I guess
eddyp	until we think of more ideas and ...
huh? virtual?
aaaa
yeap
debianist	eddyp : I mean an IRC meeting or something right?
eddyp	irc
|<--	godog has left irc.debian.org (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
eddyp	debianist: we should collect more info on cdebconf and how it works
debianist	eddyp : are there any code snippets or any docs you'd like me having read about the subject?
eddyp	anything you can find and send me links too...
===	eddyp <~eddy@82.77.146.149> \u201cNew Now Know How\u201d
===	eddyp: member of #debian-boot and #debian
===	eddyp: attached to niven.freenode.net \u201cCorvallis, OR, US\u201d
===	eddyp: idle for 5 seconds (on since Sun Jul 11 2004 19:29:51 GMT+0300 (EEST))
---	End of WHOIS information for eddyp
debianist	eddyp : ok, same goes for you as I sense you are much lesser newbi than I am ;-)
eddyp	eddy_petrisor@yahoo.com
===	debianist <~err23@80.179.93.118.forward.012.net.il> \u201cDebian User\u201d
===	debianist: member of #debian-boot
===	debianist: attached to irc.freenode.net \u201chttp://freenode.net/\u201d
===	debianist is an identified user
===	debianist: idle for 26 seconds (on since Sun Jul 11 2004 13:30:26 GMT+0300 (EEST))
---	End of WHOIS information for debianist
debianist	debaddict@yahoo.com
eddyp	debianist: let's look for docs now
debianist	eddyp : you are the project lead on that || know him || was involved in the "dead" project?
ok
eddyp	none
:(
debianist	no docs?
what about the current FE page?
eddyp	" Michael Cardenas started on this, it is available in the debian-installer subversion repository."
wonders were can I find this in svn
fjp	waldi: there?
debianist	what the docs?
waldi	fjp: someetimes
eddyp	http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/gtk-frontend
debianist	the docs are available under svn?
fjp	waldi: Log shows "Missing module" for ide-* modules
eddyp	debianist: join #flood
debianist	sure
fjp	No errors I can see during download from mirror
eddyp	wonders where in svn can I find the gtk fe of di
Marvin--	eddyp: packages/cdebconf/src/modules/frontend/gtk
-->|	Jonzl (~bla@dfn237118.extern.uni-tuebingen.de) has joined #debian-boot
|<--	Jonzl has left irc.debian.org (Remote closed the connection)
eddyp	debianist: although is not so easy, I think radio are better (me and somebody else who wants in too)
debianist	eddyp : radio buttons for each config/inst category?
eddyp	debianist: for each step
|<--	bbc has left irc.debian.org ("Leaving")
debianist	eddyp : you mean to choose options ?
eddyp	for the configs, yes tabs, but at one specific step
debianist: yeap
debianist	eddyp : so you'd like radio button or tabs? ;)
eddyp	combined
steps with radio and tabs for setting within the current step
debianist	eddyp : ok. tabs for the config section, radio for the options themselves.
eddyp	debianist: we will settle this at the meeting
debianist	eddyp : sorry, you mean vice versa. ok. I will use radio buttin to select WHICH step I am in, and tabs for diferent categories
eddyp : no, I agree on that.
[INFO]	96 matches for \u201c\u201d: [#debian, #debian-boot, #flood, eddyp, changwoo, kov, anmar, fjp, decko, tolimar, holycow, svenl_, arvind-nl, mvdr, marvin--, trave11er, manty, debianist, weinholt, proguy, bubulle, nevyn, moshez, otavio, peters, espeoneefi, mjg59, pere, maks, jdthood_away, seppy, joshk, kyllikki, elmo, cia-2, fs, broonie, bob2, warhead, calc, jd, ukai, gotom, v7w, mdz, q_, tabo, wli, kmuto, aaronl, buxy, mcgrof, jonathan, jvw, waldi, dannf, aba, sesse, tbm, anibal, migus, ths, robster, aedon, reds, zomb, roo9, madduck, gort, hch, cmeme, dilinger, delysid, maswan, vorlon, misirlou, windowsrefund, gotomium, joeyh, aj, pere_poff, resudaed, hile, blindman, doogie, tale, spowers, gaudenz, kamion, pinnen, mikeh, ior, dondelelcaro, tsauter, jojo, p2-mate]
eddyp	debianist: yeap. and look now where Marvin-- said
debianist	eddyp : yes svn to that?
eddyp	yes
debianist	eddyp : ok no prob.
eddyp	is a path in the di repo
Marvin--	all this debating about what the GUI should look like is all nice and good, but you should start by figuring out how to solve the problems that made us put the frontend on ice in the first place ;)
debianist	Marvin-- : Have you documented those somewhere ?
|<--	holycow has left irc.debian.org (Remote closed the connection)
debianist	Marvin-- : moreover, it was you that said in won't be finished for Sarge, and well, without too much inverstigation I agreed with you silently..;)
*investigation
Marvin--	basically, the problem is how to make it not suck
CIA-2	debian-installer: cjwatson * r17733 packages/kernel/linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6/ (5 files in 2 dirs):
debian-installer: Remove pmac_zilog from serial-modules, now built into the kernel.
debian-installer: Add fb-modules package, containing just matroxfb and rivafb for now.
debian-installer: Add mv64340_eth to nic-modules.
Marvin--	how will it integrate with the rest of d-i's infrastructure?
debianist	Marvin-- : Well, I see much design work is ahead
Marvin-- : would you care to pinpoint some highlights that you stumbled in?
Marvin--	it's been so long ago, Wile_E could fill you in better, but I haven't seen him around for a while
debianist	Marvin-- : I see. It's not corrolary to d-i's design?
Kamion	(remind me who Wile_E is?)
Marvin--	Sebastian Ley
Kamion	ah, yes
cdebconf doesn't really support BEGINBLOCK and ENDBLOCK in any sensible way
which seems like it'd be a requirement
Marvin--	well, that's just an implementation issue
a much bigger issue is that debconf in general isn't designed for asking many questions at the same time
Kamion	um
surely INPUT; INPUT; INPUT; INPUT; GO?
Marvin--	it's clearly linear (or using state automata) instead of callbacks
Kamion	go() is a method of the frontend, which can decide to ask all the pending questions at once
-->|	IMTheNachoManSAD (~you@68.0.16.215) has joined #debian-boot
IMTheNachoManSAD	hello anyone in here in #debian, for some reason im banned from the channel and dont know why and was hoping someone could msg an op in the channel to find out why for me please
debianist	Kamion : Marvin-- : wouldn't it be possible to create a config snapshot based on the FE, than feed it lineraly to debconf or something close?
Marvin--	no, you see, the problem is that the questions depend on the answers to earlier questions
Kamion	debianist: uh, wouldn't that require very different client code?
Marvin--	in a GUI you typically use on-modification callbacks to update widgets for other questions when the answer to a dependency changes
but debconf has no concept of a callback at all
Kamion	ah, yes
there are good GUIs without that though
debianist	:( that would require to write a config simulation agent
taking in consideration referring dependencies
Marvin--	just look at how configlets work, a configlet is completely self-sufficient, and it has to be, in order for its GUI not to suck
-->|	fjp- (~fjp@195.240.184.66) has joined #debian-boot
debianist	maybe there's a way of interacting with cdebconf dummy "applying" changes, and report back ?
Marvin--	I mean, compare the X configlet to dexconf, they don't share any code whatsoever
perhaps. there's still the issue of figuring out how the backend udebs will work
Kamion: got any nifty examples?
===	Marvin-- <~martin@sjogren.ost.sgsnet.se> \u201cMartin Sjogren\u201d
===	Marvin--: member of #darcs, #haskell.se, #haskell, and #debian-boot
===	Marvin--: attached to irc.freenode.net \u201chttp://freenode.net/\u201d
===	Marvin--: idle for 41 seconds (on since Sun Jul 11 2004 14:39:33 GMT+0300 (EEST))
---	End of WHOIS information for Marvin--
Marvin--	a GUI frontend to cdebconf that would require duplicating all the backends is not a proper solution
and I'm leaning towards the position that a "proper solution" involves redesigning debconf from the ground up
<--|	IMTheNachoManSAD has left #debian-boot
debianist	what's dexconf ?
-->|	markhymers (~markhymer@markh.linuxfromscratch.org) has joined #debian-boot
Marvin--	dexconf is the debconf-based script run by xfree86's postinst for setting up XF86Config-4
gaudenz	http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/07/msg00519.html and the thread that follows is a good summary of the issues involved.
debianist	dexconf is an example for a configlet ?
e.g. a self contained configuring entity?
CIA-2	debian-installer: elmig-guest * r17734 packages/ (arch/s390/netdevice/debian/po/pt.po netcfg/debian/po/pt.po): Updated PT translation
eddyp	Marvin--: "in a GUI you typically use on-modification callbacks to update widgets for other questions when the answer to a dependency changes"
agreed, but you don't have to send everything to debconf
Marvin--	debianist: no, a configlet is a python script + glade file
eddyp: uh-huh, so what handles the decoupling of frontend and backend?
eddyp	we can have a mixture, gtk works event based and enabling and printing the appropriate options ; the OK button send the INPUT,INPUT.... data
basically the dialogs are dinamically generated/modified
without talking to debconf until I press ok
ok as in ok/next for this step (window/dialog)
debianist	will back in 15 minutes. (have to put some fuel into that body)
Marvin--	and what code generates this? where does it come from? this means a *lot* of code for *every* backend udeb
eddyp	has to get to know better the udeb mechanism, but events must be linked to something anyway
-->|	fjp-- (~fjp@195-240-184-66-mx.xdsl.tiscali.nl) has joined #debian-boot
eddyp	Marvin--: were you involved in the old project?
Marvin--	yes
eddyp	I didn't see your name
Marvin--	I think my involvement in it predates the status pages
dinner time
waldi	fuck, something closes fds
eddyp	Marvin--: are still intersed in the subject?
waldi	ups
found it
where is the mklibs repository?
|<--	fjp has left irc.debian.org (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
eddyp	Marvin--: as I see it is not a problem to make the decoulping between the fe and the be
same with the communication with debconf..
but Imight be mistaking as I don't know the way debconf works
Marvin--	I'm interested in the general idea of a graphical installer yes, but I remain unconvinced that it can be done in a satisfactory way with our current architecture
then you should start by learning how debconf works
eddyp	where can I find it?
only sources?
or is there some documantration
s/documantration/documentation
Marvin--	the debconf spec is part of the debian policy
but you should also read the source of some udebs to see how udebs typically use debconf
netcfg, anna, main-menu etc.
pere	it would be nice if someone would add the progress bar into the debconf spec. :)
debianist	the debconf spec is part of the debian policy
but you should also read the source of some udebs to see how udebs typically use debcon
CIA-2	debian-installer: cjwatson * r17735 packages/kernel/linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6/debian/changelog: Release linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6 0.65.
debianist	netcfg, anna, main-menu etc
CIA-2	debian-installer: cjwatson packages * r17736 /kernel/linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6/0.65/: Tag linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6 0.65.
Kamion	yay for uploading the obligatory huge pile of udebs
anmar	is away: I'm busy