Re: GTK fe: some toughts, some questions

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 10:55:21PM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> sorry.. but now i'm on svn toowe should no longer have problems like this

No problem; I've restored the plugins feature, and made a number of
other cleanups, chiefly trying to bring the file back to a consistent
coding style because it had got quite messy.

I'd suggest getting into the habit of running 'svn diff' and reading the
output very carefully before every commit. If at all possible, you
should never be mixing up code changes with style changes; do those in
two separate commits. Also, when making style changes, try and make sure
it's consistent with the rest of the file, and don't make style changes
to long-established code unless you have to. I know that it seems like a
minor point and that I sound obsessive about this, but it really does
help the rest of us to follow what's going on, particularly when looking
back through history to find out when something last changed and why;
this should be a cooperative project, not a solo one! :-)

I fixed some other things, including a segfault that appeared when
running the test code in src/test/. I'm not sure if my change there was
entirely correct since I haven't fully understood the "jump" thing yet,
but it's probably an improvement at least. I also changed all debugging
printfs to INFO(INFO_DEBUG, ...) - I would suggest using that form in
future, because not only is it cleaner but also it's actually easier to
look at when running the installer (you get your debugging output in
/var/log/syslog).

Other thoughts:

  * The back button seems to be active all the time now. It should
    really be greyed out or otherwise disabled unless the debconf client
    set the backup capability using CAPB.

  * The main-menu tag thing is awfully hardcoded; we'd like to be able
    to use cdebconf outside the installer one day too. Have you
    considered using the plugin feature for this somehow?

  * I'm not sure about the text in the progress bar :-)

  * Have you thought about displaying selects differently? The column of
    buttons is a bit crude for the main menu, I think. (I realise this
    dates from before your work.)

  * It might be a good idea to design for the possibility of having more
    than one progress bar. The cdebconf PROGRESS protocol doesn't
    support this yet, but it may do in the future, and it would be
    interesting to have a global progress bar indicating the progress of
    the whole installation (roughly, your position in the main menu).

Otherwise, thanks a lot for this. Having the main menu displayed all the
time is definitely a great UI improvement.

Cheers,