Re: Creating a CD install of Debian ?

On (12/05/05 14:57), Computer Consultant / Network Eng. - Super ComputerTech.com wrote:
> Can you email me the answer?
> I am trying to download the necessary files to burn onto a CD locally, and make the CD bootable, so I can install Debian 3.0.23 to drive D.  This will be a "Debian dedicated" second hard-drive [Quantum ProDrive Caviar AC31600- EIDE 1.6GB] on a different computer that I'm setting up now.  I don't want to install Debian on the computer I'm emailing or downloading from.
>
> What I did so far:
> I've copied all 4 of the *-3.0.23-mini-.iso files from
> http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/boot-floppies/
> under the MINI section, but now am trying to find out what to do to make the CD bootable.  I burn CDs using Nero (I can burn a bootable CD with it, if I have the OS I want in drive A - on one floppy).  I assume it's more than just burning the files I downloaded onto the CD.  Are there other files I burn to the CD as they are to make it bootable, or do I need to extract these files with another program?  Which is best?
>
> And then, I'll need to know how to boot on the D drive, after it's installed there, when I want to run Debian.

You will probably find sarge a much easier install - if you've got a
reasonably fast connection, burn the netinst.iso image for your
architecture:

Although sarge is currently 'testing' it is slated to be the next
'stable' distribution at the end of May. I've been running it on
servers since December without a problem.

Once you've installed, make sure that you edit your
/etc/apt/sources.list replacing the references to 'testing' with
'sarge'. That will ensure that your system sticks with sarge rather
than being upgraded to the next testing release (etch) when sarge
goes stable.

Read the excellent installation manual and enjoy ;)

Regards

Clive

[snip]

--