Re: Merging partman

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 04:52:05PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> If someone have a look at autopartitioning, please have a look at the
> algorithm used in autopartkit (distribute.c), and try to make the same
> or similar logic available in partman.

Partman uses a three numbers for each requested partition: minimal_size,
maximal_size and priority.  If we set the priority to be equal to
maximal_size+minimal_size then the computations in partman-auto are (I
suppose) more or less the same as in autopartkit.

> I'm not convinved autopartkit is worth keeping in the future, but
> believe the algorithm used to scale partition sizes based on the
> available hard drive space is sensible to keep.

Can autopartkit use more of one disk without LVM? Or more than one
continuous free space on a disk? Partman-auto can not and I don't think
it is easy to add such a functionality in it, at least not using shell
script.  I don't know how to cope with situation when we want a
partition of 3 Gb but have two separate continuous free spaces with 2 Gb.

Anton Zinoviev