Re: Merging partman

Colin Watson wrote:
> I have some cause to think about creating a .deb of partman: it would be
> useful in a live CD installer that wants to do autopartitioning using
> the same code as is used in the regular installer. For several reasons
> I'd much rather create one sensible-sized .deb instead of 18 tiny .debs,
> but I can't do that at the moment because partman is broken down into
> lots of little source packages.

FWIW, I've seen some users asking if they can use partman after the
install, and I expect more after sarge is released.

> I understand why partman is broken down into lots of *binary* udebs, and
> obviously we can't change that without having a serious effect on lowmem
> installations and so on. However, I don't think there's really a good
> reason any more why it shouldn't be a single source package.
>
> Would anyone (especially Anton) object to me merging the whole lot
> together? I was basically thinking of creating packages/partman/debian/
> and leaving the other directories more or less as they are now, although
> some further rationalisation there might make sense later.

I like this, especially as it makes the partman directory no longer a
special case.

Only problem I can think of would be if we need to release one bit while
avoiding releaseing other changes to another bit, but there's always
braching..

Oh, and you'll have to do something about the naming, as we cannot have
both partman-* .debs and .udebs in the archive. Ugh.

--
see shy jo