Trouble installing on HP ML110 with Promise pdc20621

Hello,

I'm not able to get Debian installed using RC3 on an HP ML110 with a Promise
pdc20621 controller.  Installation freezes when inserting the sd_mod
module.  I'm aware of bug #226599, and the work around detailed in that bug
states to manually load the sd_mod module before the sata_sx4 module is
loaded.  I've done that, but the system still freezes, or, if I've inserted
all the modules that sata_sx4 depends on manually, the modprobe enters
uninterruptible sleep, and never comes out.

I've tried this with the drives configured (via the controller) as RAID 1
and with the drives not configured at all, and neither makes any
difference.

I also tried the 2005-04-20 installer snapshot.  The first time I booted, it
seemed to load the modules OK, but the drives appeared as individual disks,
not as the one volume that the RAID1 setup should have presented.  It's as
if the RAID controller was configured to present JBOD, but I double
checked, and that's not the case.

Of course, to double check, I had to reboot (aborting the installation).
Ever since then, I haven't been able to get past the module load stage
without the system either freezing or the module insertion going into
uninterruptible sleep.

So that leaves me with 2 questions: first, is the sata_sx4 driver supposed
to support hardware raid, or will it always directly access the drives, as
if they were configured as JBOD?  Second, is there something I'm doing
wrong that leads to the freezes?

Thanks,
Justin Guerin