Re: Can't boot floppy on PowerMac G3

Hi Jon,

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 02:22, Jon Niehof wrote:
> > I've cc: you as I'm not sure wether you're subscribed.
> I am; I generally consider it poor form to post a question to a
> list to which one isn't subscribed.

:-) Nice.

> > you've tried the kernel 2.6 floppies which are known not to
> > work. If you go one directory up, you'll find a floppy-2.4
> > directory, which includes kernel 2.4 images which work.
> Hmmm, these at least include a kernel image (I didn't see any
> erratum on the 2.6 BTW, sorry about that). However, in the end I
> see the same results as with the 2.4 discs.

Yes, that should be noted in the errata or releasenotes.

But I guess you mean, you saw the same results as with the 2.6 floppies ?!

> The floppy is good BTW; I ran a full write badblocks test.

On the machine you were writing it ? That does not mean the other machine can
read it. Try another floppy... and still do "cmp /dev/fd0 boot.img" after
writing :) it helps a bit.

If the floppy is spit out instantly, it's not a bootable macos floppy (but
that's what the debian boot-floppy is) - so your floppy must be bad.

The rc3 floppy-2.4 boot.img works fine here. You never see the mac-computer
icon transform into a pinguin ?

Try another floppy... and another... you must try and try, but in the end,
you'll succeed. floppies are no fun ;-)

Maybe you can do netbooting using tftp? Try "boot enet:" in OpenFirmware.

regards,
	Holger