installing the nic card

Hi,

I am using the "How to install Debian Linus Woody 3.0" tutitorial and am having some issues with the initial installation. Every thing seems to work fine but the nic card. I purchased an Airlink PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter that says on the package that it works with linux but I can't get access to the internet. I can ping the nic card but not my router. Can someone please help. I am not familiar with linux and want to set up a linux server on my network so that I can experiment with it.

Thanks

Travis