Re: Hard drive not detected with 2.6 kernel

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 04:39:07PM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> stappers@stappers.nl (Geert Stappers) wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:05:09PM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> > > It turns out that I have an SATA drive.  After searching around the
> > > net, I compiled a kernel with SATA compiled into the kernel (no
> > > module) and without Advanced Partition Support.  After changing
> > > everything in /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf from /dev/hda to /dev/sda,
> > > it works fine.
> >

> > Thanks for the feedback. And which details do you what to share
> > with the part of mankind that _provided you_ with free software?
>
> Pardon?  What more details do you want?  Please be more specific.

The output of `lspci` and `lspci -n`
Or even better the output of  `(lspci ; lspci -n ) | sort`

That way we can find out which hardware, including the disc-controller,
is in your brand new IBM laptop.
The SATA support you compiled into your monolithic kernel
is allready available as kernel module. What is  missing is information
to actually load the SATA module, the lspci output.

Sharing that information with the free software community will
avoid the hassle of recompiling kernels.

> Regards,
> Walter Landry
> wlandry@ucsd.edu

Cheers
Geert Stappers

P.S.

I assume that you missed
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/03/msg00777.html

--
Free Software, Free as is in Freedom of Speech.