Re: Release Notes: Anyone working on upgrade-related release notes?

Hi Javier,

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 06:14:03PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Browsing through #241497 I've found that there is at least an important
> issue that needs to be documented related to the upgrade patch from woody
> to sarge, specially in some architectures (hppa64, sparc sun4m and 80386).
> Is anyone working in providing detailed information on the requirements
> for an upgrade from woody?

> I'm not sure if the debian-installer team (in CC:) is aware of similar
> issues, but maybe they could provide a list of the (known) issues that need
> to be documented before the sarge release in the Release Notes pertaining
> to upgrades.

> The current Release Notes are very terse related to kernel upgrades, and
> IMHO should be extended providing a proper procedure for people that have
> installed woody using debian-boot (and thus have boot floppy kernels) and
> want to upgrade to sarge.

I'm not sure that debian-boot is the right list to ask for help in
documenting upgrade issues, since the current list charter is "Developing
the installation system", which nowadays refers entirely to d-i instead of
boot-floppies.  Frank Lichtenheld has already provided some documentation of
the architecture-specific kernel backport issues, which Frans has pointed
you to; would you be willing to take a stab at documenting general kernel
upgrade path concerns, perhaps by asking -devel for volunteers to help test
and report?

http://bugs.debian.org/upgrade-reports may also be useful to people working
on the release notes.  (Though maybe not very much, yet, to judge by what I
see there. :)

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek