Re: Long pause when exim daemon is being stopped (was: Re: exim4 prone to break d-i, bug #297607)

Additional info on reproducing the problem:
- just running 'base-config new' without configuring exim does not
  reproduce the problem;
- running 'base-config' without 'new' and configuring exim (the config
  questions are asked) does not reproduce the problem;
- after stopping exim with the long pause, subsequent
  starts/restarts/stops are completely normal.

Copy of config attached.

On Sunday 27 March 2005 19:47, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > How does your system behave when you search for an AAAA Record for
> > > your hostname?

gimli:/home/fjp# host -t AAAA gimli.fjphome.nl
(empty, but immediate response)
gimli:/home/fjp# host -t A gimli.fjphome.nl
gimli.fjphome.nl has address 10.19.66.9

> > > What does exim do when you set "dns_ipv4_lookup = *" in the main
> > > configuration setup?
> > > What does exim do when you set "primary_hostname = your_hostname"
> > > in the main configuration setup?

Adding those settings makes no difference at all.

> You could als tcpdump or ethereal the network traffic between your
> system and the name servers to see which queries your system sends out.

There is absolutely no traffic from/to the system during the pause. The
same is true for a normal stop (without the pause).
(So much for the ipv6 theory ;-)

To your other questions.
- The pid matches.
- It is indeed the --retry timeout of s-s-d. After setting that to 10, the
  pause was reduced to exactly 10 seconds (which means my guestimate of
  the original pause was amazingly accurate as well ;-)
  A timed strace of s-s-d with the 10 second retry setting is attached.

I have checked that the exim deamon really is still running during the
retry timeout and that it is gone on completion.
# /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
#
# Edit this file and /etc/mailname by hand and execute update-exim4.conf
# yourself or use 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'

dc_eximconfig_configtype='local'
dc_other_hostnames='localhost.localdomain'
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost=''
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'