[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: kernel-image-2.6.8-ia64 ABI reversion

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 19:37 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 06:22:32PM -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> > I'm trying to decide what I want to do about the ia64 kernel ABI.  I
> > rev'd it from -2 (currently in sarge) to -3 to turn off PREEMPT
> > (prevents at least one user triggerable oops).  This seemed convenient,
> > since the k-s-2.6.8-14 had its own ABI change.
> > Well, turns out this was a bad idea - we've decided to revert the ABI
> > change from the kernel-source, and the ia64 images are blocked from
> > sarge because of it.
> > Is it feasible (or even a good idea) to revert this ABI change?  The
> > only problem I can come up with is that sid systems that installed the
> > -2 ABI version and the -3 ABI version won't use -2 as a default kernel
> > after the upgrade.  That seems acceptable since after all, this is sid,
> > and once we do the pending ABI roll, it will be -3 once again.  And, I'd
> > like for sarge users to be able to test new uploads.
> We want to keep any of these kernel updates from reaching testing before
> sarge release, unless there's agreement that we should do a full update
> (including revision of the d-i kernel udebs).  Kernels also aren't affected
> by the autobuilder problems with t-p-u right now, so that option is open for
> anything that does need to be uploaded for sarge.  I'd say there's no reason
> not to play with longshot-for-sarge kernel changes in unstable.

Just to clarify - what is meant by 'these kernel updates'?  All kernels?
All ia64 kernels?  All ABI changes?

dann frazier <dannf@dannf.org>

Reply to: