Re: a kernel plan for sarge and beyond ...

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 02:57:45PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> || On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:05:05 -0500
> || Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
>
> jh> Andres Salomon wrote:
> >> Cons:
> jh> - Does not address issues with d-i udebs and abi changes at all.
> jh> - It becomes impossible to include third-party modules in d-i, since we
> jh>   have no precompiled modules for them anymore.
>
> I think the udebs won't be build from kernel-source directly. The
> udebs should be build using the kernel-wedge like now. But it can be
> all did together and will be faster then the current way.

My idea was to build them all together, one per arch. I am not fully sure what
the situation is though, and was told that they did break the package handling
thingy, but i think this was when all arches where built from a single source.

The way the ubuntu kernels works is to invoke kernel-wedge during the arch
build stuff, so i believe that this will only be the normal assortiment of
kernel packages (<10 or so), plus the exact content of one .udeb generating
kernel package, which i don't think causes a problem.

My plan is to experiment for that with the 2.6.11 kernels, and if it works
well enough and in enough time, replicate the same stuff for 2.6.8 packages in
experimental, so that if later on we decide for a d-i rebuild, we can upload
those packages to unstable and do the build easy enough.

Won't have time today, i think, but will try to make it happen over the WE.

Friendly,

Sven Luther