Re: Q: Debian Installer Preseed File Changes?

> On Wednesday 16 March 2005 16:04, Michael S. Peek wrote:
> > Last week I burned a modified copy of the sarge-i386-businesscard.iso.=20
> > The only modification was the addition of a /preseed.cfg file placed
> > within the ramdisk images.  It worked like a charm.
> >
> > This week I try the same thing and it doesn't work -- the installer
> > completely ignores the /preseed.cfg file.  Has something changed with
> > the installer to make it look for the preseed file somewhere else or
> > under some other name?
>
> Because we are preparing the release of RC3, the current daily images use=20
> udebs from Sarge, not Sid. The code to use initrd preseeding is not (and=20
> will not be) in Sarge and thus your file is ignored.
> To use initrd preseeding you should use sid_d-i images, available from:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/

Automatic installation was my whole reason for using rc2 in the first place.
It allows me to put everything on the boot CD, whereas packages like FAI
require a DHCP or BOOTP server.

In what direction is Debian moving with regards to installation automation?
Will future Debian releases support some kind of automatic mechanism like
preseed files, or just sid?

(If this is all written down somewhere, just point me the right way...)

Michael