Re: A suggestion for the way of Debain rescue

On Thursday 03 March 2005 09:23, Kevin Wang wrote:
| I'm not in any mailing list of debian, and I don't know where to go when I
| feel having something about debian to say.
usual places would be :
  mailinglist: debian-userATlists.debian.org
  irc: #debian on irc.debian.org (network 'freenode')
| Okay, here goes and hope this
| message will go to where it's expected to.
not really ;
  this list is for discussions among developers of installer for sarge,
  and main reason that that installer doesn't have a great rescue capability
  is because it's developers lack time.

| I used redhat before and changed to debian in recent years. And debian is
| simply great if a networking connection is always available out there. But
| I don't feel the way with the debian rescue.
|
| When using debian rescue CD, like this: rescue root=/dev/sda2, the root
| partition must be indicated and mounted. It is okay if the partition is not
| so damaged, but sometimes you just can't got it for that the damaged part
| of files are very crucial for booting. So it'd be better just booting with
| CD itself and keeping the partition intact before mounted. I remember
| there's one early version of redhat doing that but not sure whether this
| feature is retained to date.
|
| Or you might say that just use a Live-CD like knoppix to do this. Yes, yes,
| it works for that. But this is not the point. That's what a rescue CD is
| supposed to do with, isn't it?

There has never been a separate rescue CD,
  instead, installation CD's had rescue capability.
And Debian's reason for wanting to provide rescue capability
   is not because that's what they're supposed to,
   but because they think it is important to have a possibility to
   rescue a Debian system.
If this can be done with knoppix, fine.

| And please take my thanks to all debian developers for their great works.
this part is on topic for this list i think :-)

have fun !

  Siward de Groot
  <home.wanadoo.nl/siward>

P.S. A suggestion for your emails:
  add a line at the end that says something like:
  "please disregard the FUD that my email-provider appends to my messages".