net install CD hangs when trying to install GRUB

I had this problem with sarge's RC2, so I grabbed the daily build for
today, and the problem is still there.  It is as follows:

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop that he was(is) running
slackware(?) on.  I used GNU parted to shrink his redhat partition to
make some free space.  All that appears to have worked fine.  However,
when the installer tries to install GRUB it hangs on the screen that
says:

Installing GRUB boot loader
33%
Determining GRUB boot device

He was booting with LILO before, and I can only presume that it is
sitting in the MBR.

please cc: me, as I am not on the list.

thanks,
- martin