Re: Linking /var|/usr|/home during install

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:

> [Goswin von Brederlow]
>> I reinstalled a desktop recently and I'm fond of having a small /
>> partition that includes /boot and not much else. But having partitions
>> for /var, /usr, /home on a small disk means you easily misjudge the
>> size of one and run out of space.
>
> Why not use LVM for this, and a file system type with support for
> online resizing?

Because that would need online shrinking (unless you know beforhand
how much space to reserve for future grows). That rules out ext2/3 (no
support in the debian kernel for online resize), no xfs (only grows),
no reiser (no reiser no matter what). Anyhing usable left?

Also you will always hit a filesystem full error when you least expect
it, at the worst possible moment, and then you have to resize manualy
and recover whatever failed. It is only a 6GB disk on the system so
not enough room to just carelessly add a gig here, a gig there. I
thought about it (since I use lvm everywhere else) and decided against
it.

MfG
        Goswin