Install Debian 'Manually'?

Hi,
since I got no answer to my question 'Install from CD: Kernel does not boot' I'm now wanting to install Debian manually with the help of Knoppix.

What I've already done:
1. Created an ext2 filesystem on /dev/sda1 and a swap on /dev/sda2
2. Compiled a Kernel
3. Installed the Kernel - it boot up fine but says 'no init found'

I now need to install a minimal system I think. What would be a good way to do that? I have Internet connection available but the paths are not correct, since the root '/' is mounted on '/mnt/sda1' because I'm still booting from the knoppix cd.

Chris

--
Old Message (16.2.2005, Subject: Install from CD: Kernel does not boot):

Hi,
I'm trying to install Debian Linux from a Debian CD (3.0r4 Non-US) and I
get the menu but when I just hit Enter to start the installation I get
the following messages:

----
boot: (I then hit enter)
ready.
----

The system then halts.

Any idea why the kernel does not boot at all? When I use the floppy it
boots, but I need the vanilla kernel for my raid controller. My knoppix
3.3 CD boots up fine also.

Any help will be appreciated!

Chris

--