Re: [powerpc] Problems with logical volume setup during installation

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 09:54:14PM -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

>     "Sven" == Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
>     Sven> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:21:35PM -0800, Shyamal Prasad
>     Sven> wrote:
>
>     >>  Okay. I suppose this (powermac lvm for d-i) might not happen
>     >> by the time Sarge releases. I'd be happy to take a look at it,
>     >> but I might not have the skills and/or time....
>
>     Sven> No, the code is trivial (one small parted change, and one
>     Sven> upload of parted to move into sarge), what needs doing is
>     Sven> discussing this with other distros which run on powermac and
>     Sven> lvm upstream.
>
> Hmmm...I'm still trying to understand what the consensus (solution)
> should be. Please correct me where/if I'm wrong below, :
>
> 1) PowerMac does not currently have Partition types for Linux. Today
> we are just using an Apple defined type (Apple_UNIX_SVR2) which is
> "safe".

What exactly do you mean by safe ?

> 2) LVM tools can't tell which partitions contain LVM volumes because
> there is no standard partition type for them. It is not sufficient to
> look at an Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partition and determine if it contains
> physical volumes (yes? why?).
>
> 3) A proposal (from Sven, for example) is to use 'Linux LVM' as a
> partition type on PowerMac systems.
>
> 4) The parition *name* will not have any real effect on this setup. It
> is far too easy for users to change names.
>
> 5) The consensus on this paritition type will have to involve upstream
> lvm and then d-i and partman can be fixed in Debian to use this
> type. If upstream lvm agrees, then all Distro's will end up using
> 'Linux LVM' as the type and there will be no compatibility problems in
> the future.

Yes, we should do the same for 'Linux RAID' (altough i would use an underscore
in both cases).

> 6) It seems that a single 'Linux LVM' type is enough. Is there not a
> need to tell between LVM1 and LVM2 partitions? There must still be a
> lot of 2.4.x users out there....

I think not, but then i am no expert. x86 use a single flag.

> I'm willing to do any grunt work to get this consensus (with any
> corrections for my ignorance, I'm presuming this really is grunt
> work), but I'm not even sure where to start. I don't even know who LVM
> upstream really is (the HOTWO at tldp is from Redhat, are they the LVM
> upstream). Or did Michael Schmitz already offer to drive this?

Maybe start with the lvm-tools debian maintainers ?

>     >> Does the Sarge ppc installation manual needs an update for the
>
>     Sven> As i understand manual modifications are too late anyway,
>     Sven> but then it would be easier to fix the issue.
>
> Since Frans pointed out that this is actually possible I will probably
> write an bug and propose a patch in any case.

Cool, but i would rather have it fixed.

> Cheers!
> Shyamal (who never suspected powerpc would be all this fun ;-)

Hehe.

Friendly,

Sven Luther