Re: Sarge branch build dies with free blocks count == 0

<sigh> I seem to have take more than my share of idiot pill lately.
Perhaps I can improve my track record with intelligent messsage.  At
least my stuff on the wiki apparently works.

Joey Hess wrote:
| Daniel Dickinson wrote:
|
|>It turns out that this problem was due to missing pic libraries that
|>dpkg-checkbuilddeps missed.  The pic libraries I now have installed
|>(though not all of them are needed I'm sure) are:
|>
|>libstdc++5-3.3-pic
|>libstdc++5-pic
|>libstdc++6-pic
|

| I strongly doubt these are necessary, since not a line of the installer
| uses c++.

I suspected that, but I installed every pic in sight to make sure it worked.

|>libdiscover1-pic
|>libnewt-pic
|

| This is right there in the build dependencies, how did
| dpkg-checkbuilddeps miss them exactly?

Er, dpkg-checkbuilddeps just returned to the command line, which I
presume means as far as it was concerned everything was a-ok.

|>libc6-pic
|

| This provides a virtual package, glibc-pic, which is in the build
| dependencies. I know that dpkg-checkbuilddeps works correctly for this
| package.
|
| Anyway, the fact that your du did not have a lib directory 5 times the
| size of mine suggests to me that you already had these pic libraries
| installed and working at the time you did the build. Pardon my
| scepticism, but it doesn't add up.

Well afir the only change between a build with this message and the
build getting further, was adding the pic's so something screwy was
going on.  Personally I think my problems are a result of trying to use
the buildscript before this.   I know it's supposed to be fine, but it
sounds like it's really not used much, I'm having problems that no one
else is, and building d-i should just be a make command once the build
dependencies are installed so there's really not that much to screw up
and be an idiot with.

| You seem to have managed to install a udeb, libdebian-installer4-udeb,
| as a deb, using dpkg, onto your debian system. This _will_ break the
| build. Don't do that.

Hmmm...that is either from buildscript, or because I was getting
desperate, I can't recall which.  I think I'm just going to have to bite
the bullet and reinstall debian to get back to a coherent state.  Blah
for buildscript IMNSHO.

Well, thanks for attempting to help anyway.

Cheers,

Daniel