Re: a little user testing

Quoting Gaudenz Steinlin (gaudenz@soziologie.ch):

> > 7) general feeling that the installer asked too many questions.
> Do you know of any particular question that could be avoided?

I guess this is related to the user choosing low priority...or
"expert" mode.

> > 9) being in Australia, the timezones list was confusing - we also have
> > 'Eastern Standard Time'.  Perhaps a less US-centric interface would
> > start at the global groups list first?  (This may have been set by using
> > the 'us-american' option at the begining?)
> Probably the installer was to smart. If you select us-american it will
> assume that you are located in the US.

If you selected en_AU (if this was sarge_d-i) or English first, then
Australia, you should have got the time zones from Australia. If you
got those from USA, this is a bug.....or you indeed choose en_US or
English then United States.

As the Installer is contributed by more non-US people than US people,
we wouldn't have let a US-centric install happen...

> > These are merely observations, not criticisms - I hope that I've found
> > something useful for the projects.  I will repeat this testing in future
> > when time and bodies permit :)
>
> Thank you for this test. This kind of testing is very useful to improve
> the usability of the installation process.

Sure. My major concern is the "real name"/"login name" thing. In the
past (old versions of the shadow package), "Debian User" was used as a
default, which made more obvious that a real name was asked.

Unfortunately, this ended up in lots of installed systems with this
default and lots of "Debian User" in mailing lists and other
communication systems.

Improving this wording is probably necessary : this is not the first
usability report to mention that potential confusion.