a little user testing

Hello,
I did some simple user testing yesterday using some windows experienced, linux newbie people to install debian using the new sarge installer. I watched and took notes, but didn't get involved. Here are my results:

1) Confusing about real name and user name. After setting up the root account the installer asks for a name for a real person's account. After this it asks for a username. Some confusion as to why the same question was asked twice.

2) because we were installing behind a firewall the installer was unable to access security. I suggest something be added to note that this can be broken out of using control-C or similar. Alternatively, perhaps the user can be asked if they want security updates?

3) tasksel seem to stump people - you have to discover the help button to work out how to drive it. Perhaps display the help first?

4) installation is slowed down by the fact that you have to serialize downloading, unpacking and setting up. Could these be pipelined? We are using a loca, fast, private apt-proxy for the installation, yet the bulk of the time is still spent waiting for network and unpacking.

5) the x-server kit failed to detect the NV16 video card, nor would setting the driver to nv help (this is probably a bug against Xfree though).

6) one user set the priority to low thinking that was the easiest option on an older installer CD. I don't recall seeing that choice in the most recent installer though.

7) general feeling that the installer asked too many questions.

8) tasksel list was too fine grained for languages (the list was hard to scroll through), and too coarse grained for everything else. Will tasksel be available once the system is installed? If so, it might be worth mentioning that users can always install something later.

9) being in Australia, the timezones list was confusing - we also have 'Eastern Standard Time'. Perhaps a less US-centric interface would start at the global groups list first? (This may have been set by using the 'us-american' option at the begining?)

These are merely observations, not criticisms - I hope that I've found something useful for the projects. I will repeat this testing in future when time and bodies permit :)
njh