Re: release status

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 11:17:21AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > Can #229328 be addressed? I've submitted a patch. It would greatly improve
> > LVM support in the installation process, as it's rather broken at present.
>
> I had been reluctant to commit that since I don't know enough about lvm
> to test it.

I'd love to test it, I really would. It's not for want of trying, but I've
been unable to build a new CD in the same vein as the beta 1 CD, with the
new lvmcfg udeb package on it. I ended up taking the existing beta 1 CD,
copying to a directory, plopping the new udeb in there and reisoifying it.
That half worked, except I think it came unstuck due to the udeb's filename
and version being incremented. I presume something somewhere else unknown
requires the version of lvmcfg to be adjusted accordingly.

> -set -- `vgdisplay -v | grep 'NOT active' | wc -l`
> -[ $1 -gt 0 ] && apt-install lvm10
> +#229328 #set -- `vgdisplay -v | grep 'NOT active' | wc -l`
> +#229328 #[ $1 -gt 0 ] && apt-install lvm10
> +# I presume we're chrooted into the base installation here...
> +[ -e /proc/lvm/VGs ] && set -- `ls /proc/lvm/VGs/ | wc -l` && [ $1 -gt 0 ] && apt-install lvm10
>
> That comment is very confusing, it says it expects to be chrooted to
> /target, and then proceeds to use apt-install, which is only available
> outside of /target.

This is just my ignorance of what apt-install is/how it works. I was making
the presumption that apt-install was operating within the new installation,
or the script had previously chrooted in there. If apt-install works with
/target as it's root or something like that, then the comment is irrelevant.

Anyway, if you want to put it in, I'm more than happy to test a daily build,
and if it all turns to custard, take it out again.

I think it's brilliant that d-i can grok LVM, it's just a bit of a letdown
in it's current state because the newly installed system doesn't have the
packages installed to be able to make use of it, which seems like a last
mile failing.

If there's anything more I can do to clarify things so you can commit this
patch (or if you can help me test it), please let me know.

regards

Andrew