nic-modules mismatch, was: Install fails: can't find kernel module for via-rhine Ethernet

Hello,

Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> This is what happens during an Expert install:
> - Choose language, Choose country, Select keyboard layout: OK
> - Detect and mount CD-ROM
>   . via-rhine is shown in list of modules to load (with [*] in front)
>   . Message: unable to load some modules; not available (use driver floppy)
>              missing modules: via-rhine

at this point it's ok, no drivers available yet.

>   . Message: CD-ROM detected
> - Load installation components from CD
> - Detect Network hardware
>   . Message: unable to load some modules; not available (use driver floppy)
>              missing modules: via-rhine, ide-scsi

I retraced these steps with images from

1. sid (unstable)
   http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sid_d-i/i386/20040301/sarge-i386-netinst.iso

   the module is clearly available as
   /lib/modules/2.4.24-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o
   fails to load, of course, because I have different hw.
   insmod: init_module: via-rhine: No such device
   modprobe: failed to load module via-rhine

   ok.

2. sarge (testing)
   http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sarge_d-i/i386/20030302/sarge-i386-netinst.iso

   after "detecting network hw" it says:
   "Unable to laod some modules ... 8139too"

    vc/2:
    there is no /lib/modules/2.4.25-1-386/kernel/drivers/net directory.
    Thus modprobe -v 8139too fails with "no module by that name found"

    So the question is, whether the correct udeb is missing altogether or
    failed to install.

    this shows up in /var/log/syslog as
    user.notice hw-detect: Detecting hardware...
    user.notice hw-detect: Loding modules...
    user.notice hw-detect: Detected module '8139too' for Realtek ...
    user.notice hw-detect: Trying to load module '8139too'
    user.notice hw-detect: Missing module '8139too'.

    grep 'DEBUG: install nic-' /var/log/syslog returns nothing.

    find /cdrom/pool/main -name nic-\* finds
    /cdrom/pool/main/l/linux-kernel-di/nic-...-2.4.22-...udeb
    but
    uname -a says
    Linux (none) 2.4.25-1-386 ...

    so the available ones do not match the kernel version, it seems to me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Erich