Re: s390 installation support in Debian 'sarge'

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 02:29:56PM -0600, Sam Warren wrote:

> Not sure if you have looked into this but I think IBM actually provides a
> service where they allow open source developers access to an S/390 for
> development purposes.
>
> http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/os/linux/lcds/
>
> "Welcome to the Linux Community Development System (the 'Service'), a
> Service provided by IBM. The Service provides you with access to a Linux on
> S/390 environment for the purpose of providing the Open Source community
> with a platform to develop, port and/or test drive your products or
> applications on this platform. We anticipate the majority of users to
> include entrepreneur developers/vendors that otherwise might not have the
> opportunity to test/port their code to the S/390 platform. However, we
> invite all interested parties that meet the established terms and conditions
> to register and experience "Linux for S/390"."

Yes, and I have used LCDS before, but it is not quite what is needed.  This
service gives you access to a virtual machine where you could, for example,
compile programs, but you cannot create new virtual machines, IPL from
installation media, and things of that sort, which are what is needed to
properly develop and test d-i.

I have received some responses from organizations who are willing to help
us, though, and am coordinating those efforts now.

--
 - mdz