Re: "Sarge" and "sarge" in the manual

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 11:32:45PM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Hi Frans,
> > I've created two additional entities in common.ent:
> > <!ENTITY releasename "sarge">
> > +<!ENTITY releasename-cap "Sarge">
> > +<!ENTITY releasename-uc "SARGE">
> >
> > - -cap: capitalized
> > - -uc:  uppercase
>
> That's indeed a solution, but please note that it is the wrong way to
> solve this. XML is used to separate content and style/formating.
>
> What happens if a language team decides to change Debian code names
> from one style to another one? They have to substitute one entity
> hundreds of times.

Or the case of Ubuntu, which takes the manual and replaces all the
Debian-specific entities with other ones (so we have "warty" instead of
"sarge").

Better branding support would be nice in the manual in general; at the
moment my Ubuntu diff is distressingly enormous due to the frequency
with which "Debian" is mentioned by name without the use of an entity.
The only appropriate entity right now is &debian;, which expands to
"Debian GNU/Linux"; I'm guessing that would get pretty unwieldy if used
throughout the text.

Cheers,