Problems with bf2.4-3.0.23-mini.iso

Hi there,

recently got me the set bf2.4-3.0.23-mini.iso on
http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/boot-floppies/bf2.4-3.0.23-mini.iso
for initial cd installation and later network update.

I had several problems installing debian with this set:

1) After initial installation a small system was installed with a predefined
root password. I wasn't prompted to give one by myself or even given a hint
what it was.
As passwd was missing on the system and was neither on the installation cd, I
had to write the encrypted password with nano-tiny to /etc/passwd by hand
after I rebooted again with the installation cd.

2) After successfull login in the installation procedure didn't procede as I
was used to it from other debian cd/net installations.

3) Whiptail was installed to local /bin as it seems without a package link
(dpkg was unaware of it). As it is an old version my upgrades with apt
failed, as whiptail said it didn't recognise the --output-fd option. That
reason was hard to figure out as I checked the whiptail version with dpkg
which gave me the newest one. Unfortunatly whiptail has no --version option.
As /bin seems to be before /usr/bin in my path I got the wrong version which
was the oposite as normal user. After removing /bin/whiptail dpkg worked.

I suggest that if the cd image shouln't be upgraded it should at least be
removed or the user should be informed about these problems.

As I'm not on the list please cc me if you write back.

Regards from Karlsruhe, Germany

Christoph Burgmer