Re: Debian on iSeries (Power5 CPU)

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:31:44PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer who wants assistance installing SuSe on a partition of his
> I5.  I will help him of course but I would much rather install Debian.  The
> particular server is the I5 model 520 which you can read about at
> http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/hardware/smallmed/520/
>
> Is any work being done to support this architecture right now?  I see iSeries
> listed on the debian-installers ports status page as "Unavailable", what
> would it take to make it available?

The iseries need i believe ppc64 kernels, which we don't have yet. I would aks
on debian-powerpc, or look at what the guy rebuilding ppc64 in native mode has
done, altough he probably didn't try on anything apart apple G5. There is an
alioth ppc64 project, where packages are available, but no d-i support yet. It
is too early for this, but in a few month we would probably have proper
support, but i guess this will be too late then.

Friendly,

Sven Luther