Re: [WISHLIST] Choosing the ESSID in the non expert mode of the debian-installer

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:43:27PM +0100, Florent CHANTRET wrote:
[snip]

> I have a little wish about the Debian installer.
>
> If you detect a WIFI network card, you prompt for the WEPKEY but not for
> the ESSID.
>
> It's a bit frustrating cause if someone know the WEPKEY, chance he knows
> the ESSID too.
>
> Moreover, someone securing a WIFI network with a WEPKEY will often
> secure it by disabling DHCP, disabling ESSID broadcasting and the
> default "any" ESSID won't work.
>
> From there, 2 options (for a skilled user) :
>
> - Switching to a console and editing /etc/network/interface to change
> the ESSID
> - Installing in expert mode
>
> What a pity to boot in expert mode only for an ESSID.
>
> So, in my own opinion, there is two solutions :
>
> - Considering that knowing a WIFI WEPKEY is for experts, only prompt for
> it in expert mode
> - Or better, in standard mode, prompt for the ESSID but with the "any"
> default value.
>
> It's a little stuff but would be appreciable for a skilled WIFI user
> that don't know much of Debian (first install of a Debian for example)
> and would be disappointed if it can''t enter it. He would probably not
> be skilled enough to swith to a console during the net install process.

Every time I've done an install lately (and I _haven't_ done one in expert
mode for absolutely ages) I've been prompted for the ESSID prior to
providing the WEP key. I have a pretty simple Access Point, and as far as I
know, it broadcasts its ESSID.

regards

Andrew

--