[WISHLIST] Choosing the ESSID in the non expert mode of the debian-installer

Hi Debian developpers ;o)

First comment on the Debian project except a previous bug report. I hope to be a Debian developper soon. I'm currently reading the fresh french book from Raphaël Hertzog about Debian Sarge and will produce 2 or 3 debian package soon.

But let's talking about the installer.

I have a little wish about the Debian installer.

If you detect a WIFI network card, you prompt for the WEPKEY but not for the ESSID.

It's a bit frustrating cause if someone know the WEPKEY, chance he knows the ESSID too.

Moreover, someone securing a WIFI network with a WEPKEY will often secure it by disabling DHCP, disabling ESSID broadcasting and the default "any" ESSID won't work.

From there, 2 options (for a skilled user) :

- Switching to a console and editing /etc/network/interface to change the ESSID
- Installing in expert mode

What a pity to boot in expert mode only for an ESSID.

So, in my own opinion, there is two solutions :

- Considering that knowing a WIFI WEPKEY is for experts, only prompt for it in expert mode - Or better, in standard mode, prompt for the ESSID but with the "any" default value.

It's a little stuff but would be appreciable for a skilled WIFI user that don't know much of Debian (first install of a Debian for example) and would be disappointed if it can''t enter it. He would probably not be skilled enough to swith to a console during the net install process.

Regards,
Florent CHANTRET