Re: release update and branching

Dear Friends,

THe question I would like to have had answered, to wit, is the dual boot disk geometry problem solved, has been. Thanks.

For the record, when using 2.6 to boot the cd, one sees that no matter what, when checking the c,h,s before committing to the formatting, it remains x,16,63, in rc2.

It rather sounds to me from the exchange herein as were the coders either amused at the pain they will inflict upon the unsuspecting, or willing to release an installer which they know full well will cost hundreds of people thousands of hours simply because non-coders are somehow less than human. This issue has been discussed since at least June. At the moment, neither Ubuntu nor Debian can be installed on a non LBA bios to dual boot with a pre-existing windows installation using the ntloader.

As recently as yesterday, the issue came up in the DSLReports unix forum, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12006676~mode=flat.

While no one respects the work here more than I, there is a lingering prejudice that non-coders do not count. So, the d-i sort of works. I have checked every week or so, getting as far as the partitioning, and, when I see xxxxx.16.63, stop, as I know the result.

That is is silly that many notebook manufacturers use the non-user-changeable Phoenix bios, or that windows uses the legacy interrupts, &c, may be well true, but there has to be a solution before the final, in my opinion. Obviously, the opinion of non-hackers is also taken to be irrelevant, since the attitude has become more and more that the only valid use of human intelligence is coding, and those who choose to be lawyers, or musicians, or physicians who merely want to use debian as they would windows must be somehow mentally deficient. We are not, and actually understand the problem rather well.

Therefore, I will admit my sheer stupidity and ask if someone could explain to the village idiot why one cannot simply prepare the free space, have the d-i format the free space without touching the partition table? Libranet used to do this, as does mepis. Suse provides a file which one uploads during install to prevent the issue, anaconda installers allow the passing of parameters hdx=c,h,s, and libranet is not yet out with a 2.6 kernel, although the producers thereof told me point blank that for a commercial distro such as theirs, the problem is simply unacceptable. In other words, all one to simply install in a pre-written fs. One builds an ext3 partition, or whatever, with a live cd, leaves it empty but for the fs and table, then install cleanly onto it?

Why not make it possible simply to install the fs, then the OS, grub and go? Or allow the parameters of the geometry to be passed to the kernel? Both of these are fail safe. In theory, there is the parameter for the "IBM" hard drive, but I have never been able to get it to work on on non-IBM machine.

In other words, why make sport of what is a very serious issue, which should in any ethical light completely prevent the issuance of the final release? We are not talking about java not being point and click, or kde printing manager not working on workgroup non-domain networks(it does not, by the way, samba has decided that the simple peer-to-peer network that sold so many copies of xppro to home users is somehow not safe for a large corporation or school, so we, the small users should have to learn real networking......). We are talking about people believing themselves to have lost their other OS and most likely re-formatting, thereby losing data. That is is not wise not to have tonnes of backup is a given, but I should hope that kindness and compassion would take precedence over intellectual acuity in such a serious matter.

That ubuntu states more or less clearly that Warty is not for those who are not technical is at least an admission that the installer has a long way to go before being something one can hand out to schools, teens, friends, and so forth.

At some point, giving up and saying debian is only for those who really want to learn about pcs rather than use them is sad, seeing how good the installer is. In the end, it is true that arguing my daughter's school does not teach Latin and Greek is petty, when seventy percent of the world is illiterate, but it changes not the fact that she will grow up without reading Plato. That few world wide users will encounter the problem does not make it not release critical, since changing the partition table is something an installer simply should not do, no matter what.

Would one of you, therefore, be so kind as to tell me why securing either the latest parted, using no parted, but formatting the free space with something else, or allowing the c,h,s parameters to be passed to the kernel is either so very difficult, or unimportant?

Or, would it not be possible, as a worst case scenario to publish instructions as to how to use a file obtained with fdisk to re-write the partition table after the 2.6 kernel install, in other words, use a live cd to create a textfile somewhere(remember, floppy drives are no longer de rigeur either), then use it to write the c,h,s indices back to where ntloader could read them.

In other words, whatever solution one finds, the partition table must clearly remain unaltered, or at least put something back in the barn after the horse spillt the milk before we shut the door we should have never opened before we burnt the barn down.

If the Ubuntu folks, Watson and friends solve the issue, it would surely be a matter of extreme urgency to use that solution in the final.

"and let users decide whether to install with 2.6 or not and risk the problem" is not solution at all, as those users who understand the problem will not go forward with the partitioning, and use expert 2.4 to boot, then install 2.6, as I did, and those who do not will be in a blind panic.

To allow this is inhumane, therefore, a netinst iso with the latest parted needs be tested as soon as possible. If someone can create on cd with all other things the same, but the latest parted, I shall be happy to test it, as I know enough not to go past the danger point if the read is not correct.

For your information:

yazdzik@deblap1:~$ su
Password:
deblap1:/home/yazdzik# parted
GNU Parted 1.6.11 with HFS shrink patch 12.5
Copyright (C) 1998 - 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Using /dev/hda
Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that another partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it didn't have
the correct BIOS geometry.  It is safe to ignore,but ignoring may cause
(fixable) problems with some boot loaders.
Ignore/Cancel? cancel
Information: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/hda is
116280/16/63.  Therefore, cylinder 1024 ends at 503.999M.
(parted) q
Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.

deblap1:/home/yazdzik# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1        3697    29696121    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2            3698        7184    28009327+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3            7185        7296      899640   82  Linux swap
deblap1:/home/yazdzik#

Obviously, using 2.6 as the installation kernel would result in the problem. Since I cannot change the bios read on my laptop, windows will use the 7296,255,63 whenever installed. There is no other possibility. Thereofre I need the partitioner to leave the table alone.

At the moment, neither Ubuntu nor debian could be installed without a major workaround, in debian, the one mentioned as installing in 2.4 expert then choosing 2.6 at the prompt, in ubuntu, one could have to copy a file from fdisk, then re-write the table after the install.(This is a genuine experts-only undertaking.)

I hope someone will at least re-examine the severity of the issue, as if parted were the only major change, it might indeed be worth it to be the only distro with a 2.6 kernel and an installer that works for the inexperienced. It would indeed be at the least less than courteous to release a final without a sever warning to peruse and understand the significance of the c,h,s entries in the expert mode, rather than the usual, "that's your funeral" that dissuades few from heroism, as that disclaimer has too often cried wolf.

Many thanks for the immense, heroic, unfathomable work put into this. Take not my directness for lake of gratitude, but as a statement of belief that the installer should have a far wider, and far safer, audience. It, and the development team, deserve that.

Warm regards,

Martin