Re: release update and branching

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 03:19:47PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, i don't really anticipate doing loads of parted 1.6.11 uploads anyway,
> > but i guess this is moot, since it seems there is a rough consensus among the
> > RMs to get the experimental parted in sarge. Or at least try to do so.
> >
> > Unless you really like to reply to all the future "debian ate my windows
> > install" bug reports :)
>
> I think I would prefer to do so, or properly document the issue and let
> users decide whether to install with 2.6 or not and risk the problem

what about all those that have hardware which is not supported by 2.4 ?

> (which doesn't seem to happen very often), than make a rc3 release. I'm
> done with major d-i releases for sarge. If someone else wants to
> coordinate another d-i release for sarge with lots of large changes and
> wants to include a new parted in it, then maybe.

Let's let the ubuntu guys test it, and then we will see :)

Seriously, it would be nice to have a experimental version of the neinst iso
or whatever with the partman/parted changes, so we can ask users with problems
to test that.

That said, if we had done the change in august, then we would not have this
problem anymore now, so the whole discussion comes down to if we will release
this year yet (highly unlikely), or 6 or more onth from now.

Friendly,

Sven Luther