Re: Booting and installing via Network (no floppy/CDROM available) - looking for pointers

Herbert Kaminski wrote:

> Just this weekend, I installed with no difficulties the then current
> version of 'initrd.gz' and 'linux' from joeyh's location.

Thanks, Herbert, it is working now. Well, sort of. ;-) I downloaded
joeyh's files and tried to install Sarge in two scenarios:

a) Using a regional mirror: the installation process loads files
(and kernel modules for hardware support, I guess), recognizes the
hard disk and allows partitioning.

b) Using Apache to serve <http://localserver.mydomain/debian/cd1/>.
I copied Sarge CD 1 to this local directory. The installation
process loads some files, but does not find a hard disk.

Obviously, there is a difference between either the files available
in these two scenarios or between the process of loading the files.
Maybe joeyh's files require "real" Debian mirrors, not just local
copies of the installation CDs. BTW, I verified the CD by installing
the laptop using the DVD ROM drive, no problems there. For better
performance, I'd like to use the Sarge CDs I have already created,
instead of downloading everything from external mirrors.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely
Dipl. Inform. Ralph Seichter